Select Your Currency:
Your cart is empty

Store News

Thursday 07 April, 2011 | RSS Feed

How Fast Can You Lose Weight?

by SlimTeaStore | post a comment

It's the question everyone wants to know, "How fast can I lose weight?" It's easy to see why people want to know. An event comes up, a school reunion, a wedding, a job interview, or a party. But before I explain how fast you can lose weight, let me give you brief understanding of the following facts.

When you lose weight, you don't just shed the fat. You also lose a combination of body fat and muscle tissue. There are studies that clearly show that when we diet, the weight we shed consists usually of about 75% fat and the remaining 25% is muscle. On top of that, a lot of weight loss will end up being water loss. This is important to realise because about 70% of your total body weight is water. Now that you realise, the next thing to understand is that there are factors that affect how fast you lose weight.

You see the human body doesn't lose weight at a typical rate or speed. In other words, there's no set speed and different people lose weight at varying speeds. The reason why is because weight loss depends on the amount you weigh, your diet, your lifestyle, your level of physical activity, your current state of heath, your metabolic rate, and the level of stress you're under. Obviously that is a lot of factors to consider when you wonder, "How fast can I lose weight?" Sure, it would be great if you knew unequivocally the rate of fat loss you can expect, but it's not possible, but now you understand why.

No doubt you've seen weight loss claims of losing up to 20 pounds per week. What you've got to realise when that happens is that most of that is water weight. There are a couple of problems with this. First, losing that much weight in one week, especially considering it’s mostly water is not healthy. Second, since it's mostly water weight, the results will be temporary. So what is the ideal amount of weight to lose per week?

Most experts would consider about 3 to 4 pounds per week to be reasonable. However, the catch is, its usually very overweight people who'll see this much weight lost on average per week. On the other hand, if you have a woman who weighs about one-hundred and forty pounds, you can expect about a 1 to 1.5 pound weight loss per week. This is not really fast weight loss. It's not what you want to hear, but the fact is, the human body is not really designed to quickly shed weight.

Your body is designed to survive famine – it's hard-wired into your system and that means retaining fat. So when you go into an aggressive weight loss program, your brain shifts into gear to slow your metabolism so you hold onto stored calories in your tissues. This is why so many people hit weight loss plateaus. Another problem with losing weight too fast is that you can experience unpleasant side effects such as loose skin, and gallstones. Another problem with trying to lose weight too fast is that you're not training your body to speed up its metabolism and you're not developing positive new habits that'll give you a thinner figure. The truth of the matter is, slow and steady wins the race.

Other news for Thursday 07 April, 2011

View all news for Thursday 07 April, 2011 on one page

News for Wednesday 06 April, 2011

View all news for Wednesday 06 April, 2011 on one page

News archive